Sunday, April 4, 2010

Mississippi

Well, the golf season is upon us again; although I would still think that most of the fairways and greens won't be at there prime in most of the country for another month or so. Thus the reason I'm in Mississippi and even here I'm a bit early for the Azaleas to be blooming. Which is unfortunate because one of the courses I played I was told had "one" more Azalea bush than Augusta.

Dancing Rabbit - Azalea (#32) & Oaks (not rated in 2008)

That course was the Azalea Course at Dancing Rabbit. Dancing Rabbit has two courses and at one time in the past both courses were in the Top 100. As I'd mentioned earlier the fairways were just beginning to green although the Greens were in pretty good shape and were running fast. I enjoyed my stay playing both courses and wouldn't mind going back again 'in season'.

The Azaleas was my favorite of the two but neither had any holes that caught my eye. Perhaps that's because of the Azaleas not being in bloom. Enjoy the pics.

Azaleas

Oaks

Grand Bear (#92)
The Grand Bear is further South and is my favorite of the three.  Part of being a great golf course for me is where its at and the ambiance one enjoys while playing.  And the first thing that will catch your attention when you are arriving at the Grand Bear is the 6 plus mile drive off of the main road just to arrive at the the club house.  No kidding!!  6 plus miles and the speed limit is 25 mph!!  So plan ahead to make your tee time.

I was fortunate enough to get the very first tee time of the day so I was off and running - and so was Lusha - literally.  I was able to unleash her on the par 5s and she just ran along side me in the cart.  She (and I) loved it.  Anyway, back to golf.

If you can just imagine being more than 6 miles away from everything and playing alone on a golf course (imagining it being your own) that's the sort of feeling I had while playing the course.  Besides, the course was in immaculate shape and had plenty of challenges depending upon the tee box you choose to play.  Again, Grand Bear didn't have any eye-popping holes to speak of but the ambiance alone was well worth the trip.  And this makes all of the Mississippi courses ones I wouldn't hesitate to come play again.

No comments:

Post a Comment