Friday, April 16, 2010

Louisiana Golf

Louisiana golf was a disappointment to say the least.  The really only nice thing about the golf course was the trip driving to it.  When you're driving and you run into something unexpected that can spice up the trip; especially if that something is a 'nice' something.  Well, that's exactly what happened on the way to The Bluffs in St. Francisville, LA from the direction of Dallas, TX.

What was it you ask - a ferry!!  Yes, I had to take a ferry across the Mississippi River - The Grand Ole Dame herself.  Driving Highway 10 from New Roads to St. Francisville will get you there.  This is the first time I've ever been on an auto ferry so that's why it was exciting to me.  And I must say the town/city of St. Francisville is lost a little in time somewhere.  It is very quaint and clean and I would suggest anyone who enjoys the 'small town' atmosphere would truly enjoy visiting here.

No pictures of The Bluffs, didn't want to waste my film - wait, pics are all digital.  Still explains why I didn't think too highly of the course.  I'm guessing that in between being chosen as a Top 100 course and 2010 something has gone very wrong with either the ownership or management of the course.  Fairways were horrible and greens were worse.  I'd go to a public course again before going here.

There is one other course in Louisiana in the Top 100 but it is at a resort and I've made a financial decision that if a course is really expensive or requires a stay at a resort unless that course has some history to it that I can relate to then I won't be playing - Gray Plantation in Lake Charles is just such a course.

No comments:

Post a Comment